What was the outcome of the first sherpa meeting?
The G7 is first and foremost about people, including civil society representatives, NGOs and feminist movements, for example, who work together to achieve a common goal. This first meeting was essentially about getting to know one another.
They discussed the major priorities of the President of the Republic for this G7 in France:
- combating inequality of opportunity: health, employment, education, gender, etc.;
- addressing environmental inequality;
- security and counter-terrorism;
- digital technologies and artificial intelligence;
- renewed partnership with Africa.
They also spoke of the issue of gender equality, which is the great cause of French President Macron’s term and a cross-cutting priority of the French G7 Presidency.
This is only a beginning, with another meeting planned in Lille on 17 and 18 April 2019. But all the stakeholders in the French G7 year are hard at work and determined to make collective, tangible decisions to combat inequality.